Updated: Mar 17
I am NOT a resolution person. I hate the word resolution. It makes me feel as if I have done something wrong and need to change. I AM, however, a goal setter. I believe in writing down what you want. Making a plan and getting started on it.
I don’t set goals just at this time of year. I set goals throughout but I always love to set BIG goals at the beginning of a new year. 2019 was NOT at all what I was expecting. I took giant leaps of faith and they didn’t work out the way I imagined that they would.
CHANGES I MADE IN 2019
I closed BeYOUtiful Box. This was a hard decision but I knew one that had to be made.
I opened Creative Purpose. A passion of mine that I have always had and I decided it was time to put that in front of myself. Blogging has helped me heal since 2014 and I want women to know that it can help them as well.
I fell into a depression I wasn’t prepared for. November and December of 2019 were rough. I couldn’t shake the darkness that fell over me. I wasn’t ready for any of it to happen. It is part of my journey and I know that I will get through it but it is taking a lot of inner work to get to the brighter side.
We moved twice as a family. We were finally ready to expand as our townhome had become too small for us after 5 years. So we began looking and found a home that we loved. Unexpectedly, we had to move due to unforeseen circumstances so we had to restart again in Calgary after 5 years of living in Airdrie. I am so happy that we made the move and love the home that we are in and the area that we now reside in.
There was so much more but those were the BIG changes that I had made throughout 2019. Now as I look back and realize how much has changed, I am ready to step into an even bigger and better role in 2020.
I can feel a shift happening. Maybe it’s all of the inner work I have been doing since November. All the meditating and journaling. Working through all the dark crap that was consuming me. But I know 2020 is going to be different. And that means that I have to set BIG goals. I have to focus on what it is that I WANT and make it happen. Are you ready to do the same?
I know that writing out my goals and sharing them with everyone will help me reach them and keep my focus. I also know that things may change during the year and the goals I set today, may NOT be relevant in a month or 2 or 6 from now and I am okay with that. These are the goals I am currently working towards and planning for.
2020 GOALS BIGGER AND BETTER
1. I WILL send my book to an editor. I have been saying every year that it will be the year that I publish my book. And then I put it off. Tell myself I am stupid to hold onto this dream. But in 2020 it will happen. I am writing every day. Adding something to it to get closer and closer to this becoming a reality.
2. I will add 1 self-care item to my weekly routine. I let my self-care slide in 2019. I wanted to get ahead and that meant I forgot about myself. That changes in 2020. Whether it be a facial, leaving the kids with my husband while I go out by myself, or read for an hour locked in my room; it will be added and I am ready to begin.
3. Go back to school. This is HUGE and TERRIFYING for me. But I think I know what I am supposed to be doing with my life. Well, besides writing that is. Writing will be incorporated though. I am super excited to be taking this leap and I will share with everyone once I get accepted and am prepared to start. I have the APPLY TO SCHOOL in my phone calendar so that I get reminded to do it on a certain day.
4. Have an income of $5,000/month. I want to be able to support my family. But I want to be able to do it on my own terms. I don’t want to miss out on my kids’ activities. I don’t want to miss making them dinner at night. I want to be present in their lives. That is very important to me. Building my business is going to help me do this.
5. Volunteer. I am going to look at somewhere to volunteer that has meaning to me. I have a place in mind so now I just need to reach out. I am an introvert and I am ready to meet more people. I am craving connection and volunteering is the best way to get that in the way that I want and need it.
6. Support local. Whether that means shopping more at local farmer’s markets, buying gifts that are made locally or in Canada, or going out to eat at a smaller restaurant. I want to support small and keep more of our money in the Calgary area. BeYOUtiful Box allowed me to do this on a bigger level and I am ready to incorporate it into our daily lives. My Calgary bucket list will help me achieve this.
7. Step back from doing EVERYTHING. Oh, this is going to be a game-changer for me. I feel as if I do everything in my home and I have asked for help multiple times but it never seems to get through to anyone. Does any other mama feel this way?? (I know I can’t be alone?!?!?!) I will be creating and sticking to a schedule for cleaning and cooking. I want to include everyone including my husband.
8. Throw away expectations. I have learned in 2019 that expectations really drive me. I think that because I give 1,000%, everyone else should be doing the same. It makes me grumpy. I lose focus. I get overwhelmed. I am told that having clarity around my vision helps with this so I am truly going to focus my life on what I want and what I imagine my daily life will look like. This will be the hardest thing I do all year.
9. Create a workout schedule that doesn’t kill me or make me want to throw in the towel. For me, this isn’t about losing weight. It is about self-care and ensuring that I am as healthy as possible. I do not have health problems but I want to keep it that way. I want to do yoga more because I love it. I want to walk more because we live in a beautiful area. I want to hike more so that I get the family out exploring the beauty that surrounds us. I want to focus on intentional movement and fall in love with what my body can do.
10. Travel more. Whether that means traveling to another area in Alberta or another province, I want to see more of what this beautiful country has to offer. I want to take road trips with my kids. I want them to experience places that I have never seen. I want to explore and have fun. That is my BIGGEST goal this year.
Those are the goals that I want to work towards this year. I truly want to be more intentional in every aspect of my life. That means financially, parenting my kids, being a wife, and in my business. It is important to me that this year be a year of growth for my entire family while I focus on myself. What are your goals for 2020? I would love to hear them.
If you are local to the Calgary area, on January 9th, 2020, I am hosting a vision board workshop at Ripe Tomato in Airdrie. You are more than welcome to attend, order some pizza, and mingle with other women doing the same thing. Let’s help each other grow and make 2020 our best year yet!